- Kachil/Greater Yam -1 small
- Chilly Powder-1/4tsp
- Turmeric Powder-1/4tsp
- Curry Leaves-2 strings
- Water-1 cup
- Grated coconut -1/2 of 1
- Cumin Seeds-1/4tsp
- Shallots/Small Onion-6
- Mustard seeds-1/4tsp
- Dry red chilly-2(slits)
- Coconut Oil-2 tbsp
- Remove the skin and wash well
- Cut into large cubes
- Place in a pressure cooker and add chilly powder,turmeric powder,curry leaves ,water and salt
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle and open the cooker after the pressure settle down
- Mash the pieces with back of the ladle.
- Grind grated coconut,cumin seeds and small onions together to a coarse mixture (aviyal consistency)
- Add this ground paste to the mashed kazhil and mix well
- Allow it to boil for 5 minutes in medium flame
- Now do the seasoning .
- Add seasoning to the puzhukku and close for 5 minutes
- Mix well
- In some places ,instead of seasoning they add coconut oil curry leaves to the cooked puzhukku and close for few minutes ..
- So u can do either this or that
- So the very easy and tasty kachil puzhukku is ready
Drumstick – 1
Grated Coconut – 1/2 of 1
Dry red chilly-3
Tamarind Juice – of one Lemon size
Curry leaves -few
Coconut oil – 2tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Shallots/cheriya ulli – handful
Salt – to taste
Water – 2 cup
Jaggery- very small amount ( optional)
Peel the yam and cut into medium sized cubes ..
Also cut the drumstick into small pieces..
Wash both vegetables well and keep aside..
In a pan add 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil and heat.
When hot add coconut scrap ,dry red chilly,coriander seeds and curry leaves and stir well..
Fry these till the coconut turns golden brown in colour.
Take out the pan and keep aside for cooling the coconut mixture.
Now grind the coconut into fine paste by adding very small amount of water..
In a pan add remaining coconut oil and heat .Splutter mustard seeds ,then add dry chilly and curry leaves one by one.
Then add the shallots slices and saute for 5 minutes.
Now add the coconut paste into this and add 2 cups of water and salt..
Now add the yam cubes , drumstick pieces and curry leaves .
Close the pan and cook until the vegetables are done ..(in medium flame)..
When the vegetables are done add the tamarind juice and stir well ..(by this time if the consistency of the gravy is too thick u can add boiled water into this and mix )
Boil the curry for another 10 minutes .
Now u can add jaggery ..
Check the salt ..
So the yummy theeyal is ready to serve .
Transfer the curry in to the serving dish and enjoy the meal..
U can have this theeyal with rice ,chapathy ,nan etc..